Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Whose Gettin' Papa Joe's?

One night in October/early November I found this food cart* under the I-10 overpass



Over by The Circle Bar



I was really excited to see it, thinking that surely there would be more cropping up to meet the needs of all the migrant workers coming to town. I had visions of taco stands! But alas, this cart disappeared, and after hearing something about the city not allowing random food carts, my dreams were dashed...

But I was driving down my street the other day and look what I found:



Whose gettin' BBQ?

If you know anything about new food carts around town, share the info, please.
*click on the picture to see the cool mannequin

7 comments:

Slimbolala said...

Just yesterday I saw some sort of taco-type operation running out of the back of a truck on Claiborne. I intend to stop and get something next time a swing by.

Anonymous said...

I saw this on Chowhounds a while back at http://www.chowhound.com/south/boards/neworleans/messages/21736.html:

Tooling around town and spotted a real pit in the parking lot under the bridge approach (aka Calliope street) at St. Charles. Turns out to be a bona-fide board of health certified BBQ setup...Papa Joe's. Apparently Papa Joe used to have a BBQ restaurant on Chef Highway; now he has a mobile BBQ rig under the bridge. Dinners $10 each, with two sides. Chicken, ribs, sausage, rib tips..sides included baked beans, potato salad, red beans & rice, & rice pudding. Get there before noon to beat the hordes of construction workers. How was the 'cue? Well, the sauce was hickory sweet straight out of the bottle and the charcoal was Kingsford straight out of the bag. But the spirit of entrepreneurship & determination were delicious. You do have to yell out your order over the din of cars rushing overhead.

Now, will somebody PLEASE tell me where to find a taco truck? Frolic reports that someone spotted one on Canal, but I haven't been able to find it.

It appears you are not alone in your quest for the taco truck!

NolaNik said...

Thanks, you guys! I'll be hitting those stands. It's good to see that Papa Joe's is up to code, though I'll take the risk on a promising-looking food cart anyday. I'll bet that Papa's getting ready for the Mardi Gras.

Slimbolala said...

Hmm... It ate my comment. Let's try again:

TACO TRUCK! TACO TRUCK! Headed uptown on S. Claiborne within the first few blocks from getting off the highway. I don't know if its there everyday, but I'll be keeping a lookout next time I pass by.

Slimbolala said...

Not to far from Ms. Hyster's but on the opposite side of the street, and (I think) a little further uptown.

NolaNik said...

Excelent work, sleuth...

NolaNik said...

I mean excellent.